Associate of Science, Pathway – ChemistryAreas A-E of the Core Curriculum (42) Recommendations
- Required course: MATH 1112 College Trigonometry (3),MATH 1113 Precalculus (3), or any higher-level mathematics course) (4)
- Recommended courses:
- Required course: MATH 2211 Calculus of One Variable (4), MATH 2201 Calculus for the Life Sciences I (4), or a higher-level mathematics course.
- Carry over from Areas A and/or D (1-2):
- Students will carry one additional credit hour over to Area F for each 4-credit-hour mathematics course taken in Area A and/or Area D.
- Required Courses (16):
- CHEM 1211 Principles of Chemistry I (3) and CHEM 1211L Principles of Chemistry I Lab (1) (If not taken in Area D)
- CHEM 1212 Principles of Chemistry II (3) and CHEM 1212L Principles of Chemistry II Lab (1) (If not taken in Area D)
- CHEM 2400 Organic Chemistry I (3) and CHEM 2400L Organic Chemistry Lab I (1)
- CHEM 2410 Organic Chemistry II (3) and CHEM 2410L Organic Chemistry Lab II (1)
- Select additional elective courses to complete 18 hours in Area F:
- BIOL 2107 Principles of Biology I (3) and BIOL 2107L Principles of Biology I Lab (1)
- BIOL 2108 Principles of Biology II (3) and BIOL 2108L Principles of Biology II Lab (1)
- BIOL 2300 Microbiology and Public Health (3)
- CHEM 2950 Chemistry Research (2-5)
- MATH 1070 Elementary Statistics (3)
- MATH 2202 Calculus for the Life Sciences II (4)
- MATH 2212 Calculus of One Variable II (4)
- MATH 2215 Multivariate Calculus (4)
- PHYS 2211 Principles of Physics I (3) and PHYS 2211L Principles of Physics I Lab (1)
- PHYS 2212 Principles of Physics II (3) and PHYS 2212L Principles of Physics II Lab (1)
- RSCH 1203 Research Strategies and Technology (1)
- Students intending to pursue the B.S. in Chemistry at the Georgia State University-Atlanta campus must complete math courses through MATH 2202 or MATH 2212 and must take Principles of Physics I and II to complete Area F. Consult your academic advisor for additional guidance.
- All separate lecture and lab course combinations (e.g., BIOL 2107 and BIOL 2107L; CHEM 1211 and CHEM 1211K) are commonly offered as a combined course at Georgia State University-Atlanta (e.g., BIOL 2107K; CHEM 1211K. The combined (K) courses and separate lecture and lab (L) courses cover the same subject matter and are considered equivalent courses.