Before submitting an application to the Georgia State/Perimeter College Dental Hygiene Program, applicants must be current students at Georgia State’s Perimeter College.
To apply: Transfer students FIRST must complete steps 1,2,3,4 by the announced deadline. Current students at Georgia State must complete steps 2,3,4 by the announced deadline.
STEP 1. Complete the Perimeter College Admission Process by the Announced Deadline:
- Apply for admission to Georgia State Perimeter College.
- Students must apply to, be accepted and receive an acceptance letter from Georgia State University/Perimeter College prior to applying to the Dental Hygiene Program. Students who miss the application deadline CANNOT be considered for admission into the Dental Hygiene Program. Students should indicate on the college application form that their major is “Health Science.”
STEP 2. Complete Prerequisites Prior to Application to the Dental Hygiene Program.
Three science prerequisites must be completed and transcripts transferred prior to applying to the program.
- College Chemistry 1151 Prerequisite completion of CHEM 1151 And CHEM 1151L within the last seven years with a grade of “C” or better.
- College Biology 2110 Prerequisite completion of BIOL 2110(Human Anatomy and Physiology, Part 1) and BIOL 2110L (Lab) within the last seven years with a grade of “C” or better.
- College Biology 2120 Prerequisite completion of BIOL2120 (Human Anatomy and Physiology, Part 2) and BIOL 2120L (Lab) within the last seven years with a grade of “C” or better.
STEP 3. Additional requirements.
- General Education Courses, College Science, Chemistry and Biology GPA
To be competitive for consideration into the Dental Hygiene Program it is strongly encouraged that applicants have a GPA of 2.50 or higher for courses required in the Dental Hygiene Program of Study. Applicants who earn a grade lower than a “C” in English 1101 or in any of the required science courses in the Dental Hygiene Program of Study are not eligible for admission to the program (The course must be retaken with a grade of C or better earned). Science courses and English 1101 taken after admissions to the Dental Hygiene Program must be completed with a grade of “C” or better to meet graduation requirements. See the Perimeter College course catalog for “Graduation Requirements.”
- 20 Hours of Shadowing Experience
20 hours of documented observation of a dental hygienist is required for consideration for admission to the program. Applicants must include a Shadowing Form stating the name, license number, address and telephone number of the person with whom you observed and the number of hours observed. The Shadowing Form must be submitted as part of the application to document your dental hygiene observation or experience. It is strongly recommended that applicants acquaint themselves with a variety of dental hygiene settings. There will not be any points given in the area of shadowing. Applicants are required to shadow for 20 hours. You will find the form on our website.
- Exit from all learning support courses or requirements.
Students in ESL and/or Learning Support (Developmental Studies) must complete the required classes for these areas prior to application.
- Admission points are accumulated based upon General Education CORE, College Science, College Chemistry and College Biology Grade Point Averages (GPA). Therefore, some general education courses must be completed prior to application to accumulate a general education GPA.
Submit an application during open period (October 2020- January 11, 2021).
Take TEAS Exam and Submit Scores.
The ATI (Assessment Technologies Institute) TEAS (Test Essential Academic Skills) Allied Health test is part of the application process and must be taken before you submit an application to the dental hygiene program. The test requires ATI registration.
The Georgia State University Counseling & Testing Center does not have dates listed for the TEAS test for this fall. However, there is another alternative offered by ATI for students to take this test.
ATI provides additional independent testing sites for the ATI TEAS Allied Health test through PSI. See a link to “Register for TEAS with PSI” on the ATI testing website. There are two PSI centers in the Atlanta area. One is in Marietta and the other is in Duluth. The cost of the exam is $115.
ATI TEAS scores must be submitted directly to the Perimeter College Dental Hygiene Program. Indicate (GA State U AH) as the institution to which you are requesting that scores be sent. Scores must be received before the application deadline.
Applicants who have previously taken the ATI TEAS test (either Allied Health or Nursing version) in 2020 may request from the ATI Testing Service that their scores be sent to GA State U AH (Perimeter College Dental Hygiene Department) Only scores from testing taken in 2020 are acceptable. For the dental hygiene application, the ATI TEAS Allied Health exam may be taken only twice during a calendar year.
Applicants must receive a minimum passing score of 63 in the Reading, Mathematics, English and Language Usage and Science sections of the ATI TEAS Allied Health exam before proceeding with the application process to the Dental Hygiene Program. If you are unsuccessful achieving a minimum passing score of 63 in all four of the sections of the ATI TEAS Allied Health test on your first attempt, you may retake the exam once more before the dental hygiene deadline of Jan. 11, 2021.
To apply to the dental hygiene program, all minimum passing scores of 63 in each of the four sections must be achieved in ONE single test attempt. If you are unsuccessful achieving a minimum score of 63 in all four sections of the ATI TEAS Allied Health test after two attempts, you cannot submit an application for the Georgia State University Perimeter College Dental Hygiene Program for fall 2021 admission.