Citizenship Verification and Lawful Presence for Perimeter College
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia requires all students applying to Georgia State University Perimeter College to provide verification of their lawful presence in the United States in order to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes.
This requirement is detailed in the following Board of Regents policies:
- Policy 4.1.6 Admission of Persons Not Lawfully Present in the United States
- Policy 4.3.4 Verification of Lawful Presence
Students may be verified through one of the following options below:
- Verification through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
If you are either a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible non-citizen (does not apply to international students on a visa) that has completed and submitted a FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education will verify your lawful presence. If you are not able to be confirmed as lawfully present the Office of Financial Aid will follow-up with you for additional documentation.
- Submission of one of the following documents:
- Current Georgia Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008*
- Current Georgia ID Card issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008*
- Current U.S. Passport *
- Certified U.S. Birth certificate (must be submitted in person)
- Permanent Resident Card (front and back copy)*
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization *
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship *
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad*
- Military ID (only for a current military member of Active Duty, Guard, or Reserve; must be verified in person)
- *Copies of these documents are acceptable. Submit documents directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in person or through the document upload. Please allow 5-7 business days for the hold to be removed.
- Verification through SEVIS (Student and Exchange Information System)
If you have or are applying for an F, or J visa we will verify your lawful presence through SEVIS. As this is already part of the immigration process there are no additional steps required to have your Citizenship Verification Hold removed. Simply comply with the requirements outlined by our Office of International Student and Scholar Services as you prepare to arrive at Georgia State University.
- Verification through SAVE (Systematic Alien verification for Entitlements)
Since SAVE will not be available to USG institutions until after fall semester 2011, all nonresident alien students on some sort of visa will need to submit immigration documents verifying their lawful status to the office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS). Such documents may include an I-94 card, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) approval notice or receipt notice, or other documentation that the student is in lawful visa status.
This includes students who have been previously enrolled at Georgia State but are either returning (re-entry) to a degree program or applying for a new degree program. Transient students must also be verified.