History1964 – Founded as DeKalb College by the citizens of DeKalb County and the DeKalb Board of Education.
1986 – Acquired by the Board of Regents and the University System of Georgia.
1997 – Renamed Georgia Perimeter College.
2016 – Board of Regents approved the consolidation of Georgia Perimeter College and Georgia State University, making Georgia State the largest university in the University System of Georgia. The college has five locations in metro Atlanta, and the largest online program within the University System of Georgia.
The college awards associate of science, associate of arts and associate of applied science degrees, with career programs in Dental Hygiene, Nursing and Radiologic Technology. In Sign Language Interpreting, a certificate program is offered in addition to the associate degree program, for those who already have earned a college degree. Perimeter College offers 33 areas of concentration.
The college has five locations in metro Atlanta and the largest online program within the University System of Georgia.
- Perimeter College serves a diverse student population of more than 21,000. Students come to the college directly from high school or later, seeking to achieve a long-held dream of a college degree.
- More than 7,800 or 29 percent of Perimeter’s students are first in their families to attend college.
- More than 3,300 international students come to Perimeter College from 150 countries.
- Military Student Advocates and Military Outreach Centers on each campus assist our more than 1,200 military-connected students with essential resources and support.
- More than half—62 percent—of Perimeter’s students attend school part time, while also working and support families.
- Freshman: 10,955
- Sophomore: 8,295
- Dual Enrollment:1,306
- Transient: 460
- Other: 355
- Senior Citizen: 69
- Non-U.S. Citizens (Intl. Students): 3,484
- Average Age: 24.6
- Median Age: 22
- Percentage Full-Time: 37.4%
- Percentage Part-Time: 62.6%
Perimeter College enrollment by campus (October 2015)
- Alpharetta: 2,202
- Clarkston: 5,155
- Decatur: 2,671
- Dunwoody: 6,840
- Distance Learning (Online): 8,631
- GPC Unduplicated Total: 21,057
510 faculty members – About 36 percent of Perimeter College’s faculty members have earned their doctorate.
Perimeter College contributes to the economies of its communities and region, with an estimated economic impact of $601 million annually, according to the Selig Center for Economic Growth, which examines the initial spending of each of the University System of Georgia’s institutions.